Helping a lot of people setting up their website I am always looking for a WordPress explanation that is easy to understand. Since an image says more then a thousand words I figure a schematic could help. So here it is:
A few pointers:
- The website maintainer or user sees/maintains the website through the dashboard
- The theme sets the design throughout the website. This is what the visitors see
- WordPress stores media files on disk (this is static content)
- Dynamic data is stored in the database
- Plugins are components that work together with WordPress. They can add functionality from the back-end to the front-end or anywhere in between.
Hope this helps people trying to grasp what WordPress is all about.